20 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 20 - EDUCATION
CHAPTER 5 - GOVERNMENT COLLECTIONS AND INSTITUTIONS FOR RESEARCH, AND MATERIAL FOR EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov

CHAPTER 5—GOVERNMENT COLLECTIONS AND INSTITUTIONS FOR RESEARCH, AND MATERIAL FOR EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS

Sec.
91.
Literary and scientific collections accessible to investigators and students.
92.
Admissions to marine biological station for pursuit of investigations.
93, 94.
Repealed.

        

§91. Literary and scientific collections accessible to investigators and students

The facilities for study, research and illustration in the Government departments and in the following and any other governmental collections now existing or hereafter to be established in the city of Washington for the promotion of knowledge shall be accessible, under such rules and restrictions as the officers in charge of each department or collection may prescribe, subject to such authority as is now or may hereafter be permitted by law, to the scientific investigators and to duly qualified individuals, students and graduates of any institution of learning in the several States and Territories and the District of Columbia, to wit:

One. Of the Library of Congress.

Two. Of the National Museum.

Three. Of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Four. Of the Department of Education.

Five. Of the Bureau of Ethnology.

Six. Of the Army Medical Museum.

Seven. Of the Department of Agriculture.

Eight. Of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

Nine. Of the Botanic Gardens.

Ten. Of the National Ocean Survey.

Eleven. Of the United States Geological Survey.

Twelve. Of the Naval Observatory.

Thirteen. Of the Zoological Park.

Fourteen. Of the Government Printing Office.

(Apr. 12, 1892, No. 8, 27 Stat. 395; Mar. 3, 1901, ch. 831, §1, 31 Stat. 1039; May 14, 1928, ch. 551, §1, 45 Stat. 531; 1939 Reorg. Plan No. II, §4(e), eff. July 1, 1939, 4 F.R. 2731, 53 Stat. 1433; 1940 Reorg. Plan No. III, §3, eff. June 30, 1940, 5 F.R. 2108, 54 Stat. 1232; Aug. 8, 1956, ch. 1036, §3, 70 Stat. 1120; 1965 Reorg. Plan No. 2, eff. July 13, 1965, 30 F.R. 8819, 79 Stat. 1318; 1970 Reorg. Plan No. 4, eff. Oct. 3, 1970, 35 F.R. 15627, 84 Stat. 2090; Pub. L. 96–88, title III, §301(b)(2), title V, §507, Oct. 17, 1979, 93 Stat. 678, 692; Pub. L. 102–154, title I, Nov. 13, 1991, 105 Stat. 1000; Pub. L. 106–113, div. B, §1000(a)(9) [title IV, §4732(b)(10)], Nov. 29, 1999, 113 Stat. 1536, 1501A–584.)

Codification

Section is from a resolution adopted Apr. 12, 1892, the Deficiencies Appropriation Act of Mar. 3, 1901, and the Legislative Appropriations Act of May 14, 1928, providing that facilities for study and research be afforded to investigators, students, etc., in the several States and Territories as well as in the District of Columbia.

Amendments

1999—Pub. L. 106–113 substituted “United States Patent and Trademark Office” for “Patent Office” in par. Three.

Change of Name

“United States Geological Survey” substituted for “Geological Survey” in par. Eleven pursuant to provision of title I of Pub. L. 102–154, set out as a note under section 31 of Title 43, Public Lands.

Coast and Geodetic Survey consolidated with National Weather Bureau in 1965 to form Environmental Science Services Administration by Reorg. Plan No. 2 of 1965, eff. July 13, 1965, 30 F.R. 8819, 79 Stat. 1318. Environmental Science Services Administration abolished in 1970 and its personnel, property, records, etc., transferred to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration by Reorg. Plan No. 4 of 1970, eff. Oct. 3, 1970, 35 F.R. 15627, 84 Stat. 2090. By order of Acting Associate Administrator of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 35 F.R. 19249, Dec. 19, 1970, Coast and Geodetic Survey redesignated National Ocean Survey. See notes set out under section 311 of Title 15, Commerce and Trade.

Effective Date of 1999 Amendment

Amendment by Pub. L. 106–113 effective 4 months after Nov. 29, 1999, see section 1000(a)(9) [title IV, §4731] of Pub. L. 106–113, set out as a note under section 1 of Title 35, Patents.

Transfer of Functions

Functions of all other officers of Department of Commerce and functions of all agencies and employees of such Department, with a few exceptions, transferred to Secretary of Commerce, with power vested in him to authorize their performance or performance of any of his functions by any of such officers, agencies, and employees, by Reorg. Plan No. 5 of 1950, §§1, 2, eff. May 24, 1950, 15 F.R. 3174, 64 Stat. 1263, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees. United States Patents and Trademark Office, and National Ocean Survey, referred to in this section, are agencies within Department of Commerce.

Functions of all other officers of Department of the Interior and functions of all agencies and employees of such Department, with two exceptions, transferred to Secretary of the Interior, with power vested in him to authorize their performance or performance of any of his functions by any of such officers, agencies, and employees, by Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1950, §§1, 2, eff. May 24, 1950, 15 F.R. 3174, 64 Stat. 1262, set out in the Appendix to Title 5.

Fish and Wildlife Service, created by Reorg. Plan No. III of 1940, eff. June 30, 1940, 5 F.R. 2107, 54 Stat. 1231, succeeded by United States Fish and Wildlife Service established by act Aug. 8, 1956, ch. 1036, §3, 70 Stat. 1120, which is classified to section 742b of Title 16, Conservation.

Bureau of Fisheries consolidated with Bureau of Biological Survey into Fish and Wildlife Service in Department of the Interior by Reorg. Plan No. III of 1940, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees. The Bureau had been previously transferred to Department of the Interior by Reorg. Plan No. II of 1939, §4(e), also set out in the Appendix to Title 5.

For transfer of certain personal property and functions, insofar as they pertain to the Air Force, from Secretary of the Army and Department of the Army, to Secretary of the Air Force and Department of the Air Force, see Secretary of Defense Transfer Order Nos. 6, eff. Jan. 15, 1948; 39, May 18, 1949; 40 [App. B(69)], July 22, 1949.

“Department of Education” substituted in text for “Office of Education” pursuant to sections 301(b)(2) and 507 of Pub. L. 96–88, which are classified to sections 3441(b)(2) and 3507 of this title and which transferred Office of Education to Department of Education.

Functions of Federal Security Administrator transferred to Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare and all agencies of Federal Security Agency transferred to Department of Health, Education, and Welfare by section 5 of Reorg. Plan No. 1 of 1953, eff. Apr. 11, 1953, 18 F.R. 2053, 67 Stat. 631, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees. Federal Security Agency and office of Administrator abolished by section 8 of Reorg. Plan No. 1 of 1953.

Office of Education transferred to Federal Security Agency by Reorg. Plan No. I of 1939, §§201, 204, eff. July 1, 1939, 4 F.R. 2728, 53 Stat. 1424, set out in the Appendix to Title 5.

Office of Education created and placed in Department of the Interior by act of July 20, 1868, ch. 176, 15 Stat. 106, which abolished Department of Education. In appropriation act of July 12, 1870, ch. 251, 16 Stat. 242, the Office was designated Bureau of Education. This designation was retained until the act of May 14, 1930, ch. 273, 46 Stat. 281, 319, which made appropriations for “Office of Education”.

National Museum

National Museum was not created by any express statutory provision for that purpose. It was first mentioned in an appropriation for postage for “the National Museum in the Smithsonian Institution,” contained in act June 20, 1874, ch. 328, §1, 18 Stat. 103. An appropriation for a building for the use of the National Museum was made by act Mar. 3, 1879, ch. 182, §1, 20 Stat. 397, and annual appropriations have continuously been made for expenses of heating, etc., such building.

§92. Admissions to marine biological station for pursuit of investigations

The professors, instructors, and students of the several land-grant, agricultural, and mechanical colleges of the United States shall be admitted to the marine biological station on the Gulf of Mexico on the coast of Florida, to pursue such investigation in fish culture and biology as may be practicable, without cost to the Government, under such rules and regulations as may be from time to time prescribed by the Secretary of Interior.

(Mar. 1, 1911, ch. 189, §2, 36 Stat. 964; Mar. 4, 1913, ch. 141, §1, 37 Stat. 736; Aug. 1, 1914, ch. 223, §1, 38 Stat. 665; 1939 Reorg. Plan No. II, §4(e), eff. July 1, 1939, 4 F.R. 2731, 53 Stat. 1433; 1940 Reorg. Plan No. III, §3, eff. June 30, 1940, 5 F.R. 2107, 54 Stat. 1231.)

Codification

Section consists of section 2 of act Mar. 1, 1911. Section 1 thereof authorizing the establishment of the marine biological station on the Gulf coast of the State of Florida, referred to in text, on the condition that the State of Florida donate the necessary land and water rights, is not classified to the Code. The provisions of said section 1 requiring donation of the required land and water rights by the State were amended by act Aug. 1, 1914, ch. 223, §1, 38 Stat. 665, which authorized the donation of the required land and water rights by a corporation, firm, or individual in addition to the State.

Transfer of Functions

Bureau of Fisheries in Department of Commerce which administered marine biological station referred to in text under supervision of Secretary of Commerce transferred to Department of the Interior under direction of Secretary of the Interior by Reorg. Plan No. II of 1939, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees, and by Reorg. Plan No. III of 1940, set out in the Appendix to Title 5. Bureau of Fisheries consolidated with Bureau of Biological Survey into Fish and Wildlife Service in Department of the Interior and under supervision of Secretary of the Interior, which was succeeded by United States Fish and Wildlife Service, see section 742b of Title 16, Conservation.

“Secretary of Commerce” substituted in text for “Secretary of Commerce and Labor” pursuant to act Mar. 4, 1913, which changed name of Department of Commerce and Labor to Department of Commerce.

Station at Sarasota, Florida

The Fish and Wildlife Service established a marine biological station at Sarasota, Florida, during the year 1948.

Disposal of Station

Secretary of Commerce was authorized to dispose of the marine biological station at Key West, Fla., by act Apr. 29, 1929, ch. 2, 46 Stat. 2.

Under communication of the Fish and Wildlife Service dated Nov. 12, 1940, it was stated the land on which was situated this station was reconveyed to the Key West Realty Company by quit claim deed executed by the Secretary of Commerce.

§§93, 94. Repealed. Oct. 31, 1951, ch. 654, §1(41), (42), 65 Stat. 703

Section 93, act Nov. 19, 1919, ch. 118, 41 Stat. 360, which related to sale of machine tools to trade, technical, and public schools and universities, had been transferred to section 1180a of former Title 10, Army and Air Force, and was later repealed by act Oct. 31, 1951.

Section 94, act May 26, 1928, ch. 760, 45 Stat. 753, which related to transfer of obsolete aeronautical equipment to museums, schools and colleges, had been transferred to section 1180b of former Title 10, Army and Air Force, was later repealed by act Oct. 31, 1951.