United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 23 - HIGHWAYS
CHAPTER 1 - FEDERAL-AID HIGHWAYS
Sec. 147 - Construction of ferry boats and ferry terminal facilities
From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov
§147. Construction of ferry boats and ferry terminal facilities
(a) In General.—The Secretary shall carry out a program for construction of ferry boats and ferry terminal facilities in accordance with section 129(c).
(b) Federal Share.—The Federal share of the cost of construction of ferry boats, ferry terminals, and ferry maintenance facilities under this section shall be 80 percent.
(c) Allocation of Funds.—The Secretary shall give priority in the allocation of funds under this section to those ferry systems, and public entities responsible for developing ferries, that—
(1) provide critical access to areas that are not well-served by other modes of surface transportation;
(2) carry the greatest number of passengers and vehicles; or
(3) carry the greatest number of passengers in passenger-only service.
(d) Set-Aside for Projects on NHS.—
(1) In general.—$20,000,000 of the amount made available to carry out this section for each of fiscal years 2005 through 2009 shall be obligated for the construction or refurbishment of ferry boats and ferry terminal facilities and approaches to such facilities within marine highway systems that are part of the National Highway System.
(2) Alaska.—$10,000,000 of the $20,000,000 for a fiscal year made available under paragraph (1) shall be made available to the State of Alaska.
(3) New jersey.—$5,000,000 of the $20,000,000 for a fiscal year made available under paragraph (1) shall be made available to the State of New Jersey.
(4) Washington.—$5,000,000 of the $20,000,000 for a fiscal year made available under paragraph (1) shall be made available to the State of Washington.
(e) Period of Availability.—Notwithstanding section 118(b), funds made available to carry out this section shall remain available until expended.
(f) Applicability.—All provisions of this chapter that are applicable to the National Highway System, other than provisions relating to apportionment formula and Federal share, shall apply to funds made available to carry out this section, except as determined by the Secretary to be inconsistent with this section.
(Added Pub. L. 93–87, title I, §126(a), Aug. 13, 1973, 87 Stat. 263; amended Pub. L. 94–280, title I, §130, May 5, 1976, 90 Stat. 440; Pub. L. 105–178, title I, §1212(a)(2)(A)(i), June 9, 1998, 112 Stat. 193; Pub. L. 109–59, title I, §1801(a), Aug. 10, 2005, 119 Stat. 1455.)
2005—Pub. L. 109–59 amended section catchline and text generally, substituting provisions relating to program for construction of ferry boats and ferry terminal facilities for provisions relating to selection of high traffic sections of highways as priority primary routes for priority of improvement to supplement the service provided by the Interstate System by furnishing needed adequate traffic collector and distributor facilities.
1998—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 105–178 substituted “State transportation department” for “State highway department”.
1976—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 94–280 amended subsec. (b) generally, striking out apportionment provisions.
Authorization of Appropriations
Pub. L. 109–59, title I, §1801(d), Aug. 10, 2005, 119 Stat. 1456, provided that: “In addition to amounts made available to carry out section 147 of title 23, United States Code, by section 1101 of this Act [119 Stat. 1153], there are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary to carry out such section 147 for fiscal year 2006 and each fiscal year thereafter. Such funds shall remain available until expended.”