The Secretary concerned may provide for the care and disposition of the remains of prisoners of war and interned enemy aliens who die while in his custody and, incident thereto, pay the necessary expenses of—
(1) notification to the next of kin or other appropriate person;
(2) preparation of the remains for burial, including cremation;
(3) furnishing of clothing;
(4) furnishing of a casket or urn, or both, with outside box;
(5) transportation of the remains to the cemetery or other place selected by the Secretary; and
(6) interment of the remains.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 113.)
|Revised section||Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|1483||5:2155 (as applicable to armed forces).||July 15, 1954, ch. 507, §5 (as applicable to armed forces), 68 Stat. 479.|
The list of payable expenses has been rearranged to produce a generally chronological result. The words “incurred for”, and the words “articles of” in clause (3), are omitted as surplusage. In clause (5), the words “cemetery or other place” are substituted for the words “town, city, or cemetery”.