Created by Congress in June 1860, the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) began operation on March 4, 1861 with 350 employees. Occupying the corner of North Capitol and H Streets from its inception, GPO continues to adopt the most efficient and cost-effective production methods of delivering authentic and secure government documents and products to the American public. 

With the increase in digital communication and expanding publishing technologies, GPO has streamlined and transformed from a print-only operation to an integrated publishing organization. On December 17, 2014, Congress redesignated the agency the U.S. Government Publishing Office.

GPO’s history program documents over 150 years of Keeping America Informed through publications, exhibits, public programs, and research. In 2017, the American Printing History Association honored GPO with its Institutional Award, recognizing a “distinguished contribution to study, recording, preservation or dissemination of printing history.” The award citation honors GPO’s “services in advancing the understanding of the history of printing and its allied arts.”

Online Photo Gallery

GPO's historic photo collection consists of images and drawings of GPO dating to 1861, photographs of our building, printing presses, equipment, employees, and now-historic documents.

GPO History

GPO During the Civil War


150th Anniversary History Exhibit

Contact

U.S. Government Publishing Office
Office of Congressional Relations
732 North Capitol Street, NW
Mail Stop LP, Rm C804
Washington, DC 20401

ph 202.512.1991
fx 202.512.1293

George D. Barnum
Agency Historian
[email protected]